Chase is working late this week, meaning he’s been eating most of his meals on set (he works in the film industry, did I tell you all that? Actually, I do as well, but let me clarify that it’s not nearly as cool as you might think. (Anyone from the entertainment industry reading this right now is thinking, “Amen, Sister.” Except that of course no one in this industry would say “Amen” due to the fact that we’re all obviously godless heathens whose sole mission is to make everyone gay. Duh.))
Anywhoo… since Chase isn’t going to be joining me for dinner, that means I can eat WHATEVER I DAMN WELL WANT TO. The list of “Things I get to eat when I don’t have to take Mr. I-Used-To-Eat-HotPockets-Three-Meals-A-Day into consideration” consists of:
1) Soup, even when it’s hot outside. And I don’t have to feel the pressure of making it a “hearty” one. Sometimes a girl just wants a brothy bowl of potato-leek soup for dinner during the summer, okay?
2) Anything with onions in it. Honestly, I could write a list a mile long with this one. French onion soup is my #1 guilty pleasure when Chase isn’t home.
3) Random stuff that would never normally be considered a meal. Like, a glass of orange juice with a handful of saltines followed by a scrambled egg and bowl of sweet peas. If I’m full at the end then the ultimate goal was achieved, and I love when I don’t have to explain the random decisions that got me there.
4) If I make tomato sauce, I add at least 2 extra cloves of garlic. While I can eat heads of roasted garlic spread on toast and be in heaven, I’m always having to trim back when Chase is around.
5) Breakfast for dinner. I’m not sure what that guy has against eating eggs throughout the day, but I personally don’t have an issue with it. In fact, it’s often my preferred choice.
6) New recipes. Sometimes I use Chase as a taste-tester, and other times I like to know that if I fail miserably it will be in private.
This is not to say I don’t enjoy eating dinner with my husband. Especially if it’s at a restaurant, with food I don’t have to cook and dishes I don’t have to wash and a really pretty cocktail I didn’t have to mix, and I can still order the French onion soup. But this week I’m going to relish my dinners of pasta with garlicky tomato sauce, hot soup and scrambled eggs, and no one is going to judge me.
What are your favorite meals when you’re all alone?