I swear to God, I am going to stop writing and tweeting about beignets. After this post of course. I’m obviously not calling this a “recipe” since I just added water to a boxed mix, so let’s just say this is an illustrated version of the instructions on the back of the box.
1) Buy Cafe Du Monde beignet mix. I’m not sure if there are even other beignet mixes available, but I will go ahead and state with confidence that they ARE NOT AS GOOD as Cafe Du Monde’s. The design has not changed on this box I was 5 years old and my stepfather would make me these heavenly doughnuts on the weekends. Fact – when your product is good you don’t need to fool around with graphic designers or new-fangled modern fonts.
2) For every 2 cups of mix add 7 fluid ounces of water. Mix together, and then roll out to 1/8 of an inch thick. You will need a lot of flour to keep the dough from sticking to freaking EVERYTHING.
(okay that’s a few steps in one but I forgot to take a picture of the dough being mixed – my bad!)
3) Slice the dough into little squares. I try to stick to a rough 2″ x 2″ size, but don’t get too scientific about this. Hot oil does not discriminate against poorly shaped dough.
4) Meanwhile, heat some oil in a pan to 370 degrees F. You’ll want at least an inch of oil in there, so the dough can fry properly without hitting the bottom of the pan. Drop the little squares into the oil, and flip once they begin to turn brown. This takes about 30 – 60 seconds on each side, so don’t wander away while they’re cooking!
5) Once the beignets are cooked, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Sprinkle with lots of powdered sugar.
6) OPTIONAL – scramble some eggs while the beignets are cooking. If necessary, bribe a friend so they’ll help you. (beignets are really great things to bribe with)
7) EAT THE BEST BREAKFAST EVER KNOWN TO MAN. (it’s best to not make any major plans for the rest of the day. The couch is gonna look awfully comfy when you’re done)